Oct 01 , 2017Diabetes Diabetic friendly recipe Recipe type 1 diabetes Type 1 Diabetes Management
We don't know about you, but it feels like it's time to bust out those stew recipes! Give this diabetic-friendly Beef, Tomato and Eggplant Stew a try for dinner tonight.
1 pound beef , top round, cut into 1/2 cubes
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 cup white wine
4 tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 large eggplant , cut into 1/2 cubes (about 2 cups)
6 cups water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh watercress (or arugula)
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1 cup Italian parsley, chopped
1. Heat large heavy-bottomed pot on stove over medium high flame.
2. Place beef in pot and brown all sides (about 3) minutes per side.
3. Remove beef and cook onions in same pot until they are browned about 5 minutes.
4. Add wine to pot and scrape bottom of pot to incorporate browned onions and beef residue into liquid.
5. Add back beef, plus tomatoes, eggplant, water, salt, basil and Italian parsley.
6. Cover and cook 1 hour at low simmer.
7. Garnish with fresh watercress or arugula and serve.