Nov 12 , 2017Diabetes Diabetic friendly recipe Recipe type 1 diabetes Type 1 Diabetes Management
Here is an easy way to make your Thanksgiving Diabetes friendly!
4 sprays vegetable oil cooking spray
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 turkey legs (about 16 ounces total)
1/4 teaspoon salt (1/8 for turkey and 1/8 for apples)
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped (1 teaspoon dried)
1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped (1 teaspoon dried)
1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley, chopped
1 cup chopped apple
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
3/4 teaspoon sugar
4 cups fresh spinach
zest of one lemon (optional)
4 servings Wish-Bone Balsamic Breeze Vinaigrette
1. Heat oven to 375° F. Heat a heavy bottom ovenproof skillet over medium high heat.
2. Coat turkey with cooking spray.
3. Cook turkey in skillet until browned, approximately 6 minutes per side.
4. Place skillet in the oven for about 15 minutes, until pink just disappears and the interior temperature is 160° F. (It will continue cooking after it is removed from the oven)
5. Let turkey cool. Remove skin by gently pulling it away from the meat.
6. Rub turkey legs with 1/8 teaspoon salt, pepper to taste, thyme, sage and parsley. Set aside.
7. Heat apples, onion, balsamic, sugar, garlic and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt in medium-sized saucepan over medium heat.
8. Cook until it becomes thick and saucy, about 15 minutes, stirring often.
9. To serve, place spinach in a large bowl and toss with Balsamic Breeze Vinaigrette.
10. Divide spinach among 4 plates and top each with a turkey leg. Garnish with 1/4 of the apple sauce.