May 30 , 2017Diabetes Diabetic friendly recipe Recipe type 1 diabetes Type 1 Diabetes Management
- Makes: 4 servings
- Serving Size: 3 ounces cooked meat, 1 tomato skewer, 1/2 of a zucchini, 1/4 of a red onion, and about 2-1/2 tablespoons Chimichurri Sauce
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 13
- 1 pound boneless beef top sirloin steak, cut 1 inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 2 medium zucchini and/or yellow summer squash, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 recipe Chimichurri Sauce
- Trim fat from steak. Cut steak into four equal portions. Sprinkle chili powder and 1/8 teaspoon of the salt over the steak portions. Thread tomatoes onto four 6- to 8-inch skewers.* Lightly coat tomatoes and both sides of the zucchini and red onion slices with nonstick spray. Sprinkle vegetables with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- For a charcoal grill, place steak, tomato skewers, and vegetable slices on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill steak until desired doneness, turning once halfway through cooking. Allow 14 to 18 minutes for medium-rare doneness (145 degrees F) or 18 to 22 minutes for medium doneness (160 degrees F). Grill zucchini and onion slices for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender and lightly charred in places, turning occasionally. Grill tomatoes for 4 to 6 minutes or just until softened and lightly charred, turning once. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place steak, tomato skewers, and vegetable slices on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
- Slice steak and divide among four serving plates. Serve with grilled tomatoes, vegetable slices, and Chimichurri Sauce. One serving is about 3 ounces cooked meat, 1 tomato skewer, 1/2 of a zucchini, 1/4 of a red onion, and about 2-1/2 tablespoons Chimichurri Sauce.
- If using wooden skewers, soak in enough water to cover for 30 minutes before using.
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- In a blender or food processor, combine parsley, cilantro, vinegar, water, olive oil, garlic, salt, ground black pepper, and, if desired, crushed red pepper. Cover and blend or process with several on/off pulses until chopped, but not pureed.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:Servings Per Recipe: 4
PER SERVING: 245 cal., 9 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 48 mg chol., 387 mg sodium, 13 g carb. (4 g fiber), 28 g pro.